I’m really excited about today’s post because I’ve collaborated with 11 fellow Canadian bloggers to bring you healthy and delicious weeknight dinner recipes! We’re here to give you inspiration to make eating healthy fun, easy, and delicious. Be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this post to check out all of the #CDNFoodCreatives recipes!
I love food that’s healthy and simple to make so it was easy to choose the theme for this collaboration: Healthy Weeknight Dinners! As for my recipe of choice- who doesn’t love fajitas?! My mom made chicken fajitas often when I was a kid and I LOVED them. Since I eat a plant-based diet, I chose to use tofu but with my mom’s marinade recipe. It’s the most delicious marinade with the zesty lime, slight spiciness, and fresh cilantro and I knew tofu would soak up all that flavour.
The key to delicious tofu is pressing all of the water out of it first. This allows the tofu to absorb any sauce you put it in. When you make tofu this way, you’ll want to eat it all on its own! I sometimes end up eating all of the tofu before I get the chance to put it on my plate- it’s that good.
I wanted to make these tofu fajitas as easy and quick as possible, so the marinade is made by throwing all the ingredients into a food processor and blending, the veggies and tofu are all cooked in one dish, and the guacamole crema is made by putting the ingredients in the blender and blending til smooth. Grab some tortillas and shredded cheese if you like and tada- you’re ready to eat!
Tofu Fajitas with Guacamole Crema
tofu and vegetables
- 1 block firm tofu press all of the water out by placing the tofu between two plates with something heavy on the top for 10 minutes as you make the marinade
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 large white onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried cilantro (also called dried coriander)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- juice of two limes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 avocado
- juice of one lime
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- 2 tbsp chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- sea salt to taste
- 6 small whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese optional
Preheat the oven to 425F. While your tofu is being pressed, make the marinade by putting all ingredients from garlic cloves to olive oil in a food processor and pulsing until you have an even consistency but not yet a puree.
Line a large baking dish with aluminum foil. Cut your tofu into bite-sized pieces and put in the baking dish along with the peppers and onions. Pour the marinade over the top. Put it in the oven for 10 minutes, then remove to toss the vegetables and tofu. Place the dish back in the oven and turn the heat up to 500F, cook for another 25 minutes.
While the vegetables and tofu are cooking, make your guacamole crema. Simply add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
To assemble, take a tortilla and add a scoop of the veggies and tofu. Drizzle guacamole crema on top and add a handful of shredded cheese. Wrap up and repeat!
I hope you give these tofu fajitas a try! They’re easily one of my top 5 favourite dishes 🙂 and don’t forget to check out the delicious, healthy recipes made by my friends!
- Roasted Tomato Pasta Dinner by A Pretty Life Blog
- Apple and Acorn Squash Soup by I Say Nomato
- Mexican Ground Beef Zucchini Skillet by 365 Days of Easy Recipes
- One Pot Chicken, Barley and Veg by My Kitchen Love
- Parmesan Polenta with Poached Egg and Spinach by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Chicken and Chickpea Stew by Imagelicious
- Lentil Tacos by Cocoa Bean,The Vegetable
- Lighter Mac n Cheese by Fuchsia Freezer
- One Pan Baked Salmon and Roasted Veggies by She Bakes Here
- Steamed Rice with Red Curry Coconut Squash by Sugar Love Spices
- Citrus + Soy Shrimp Lettuce Cups by Killing Thyme
- Tofu Fajitas with Guacamole Crema by The Refreshanista
Grab the FREE guide for the 8 Key Essential Oils I Use Nearly Everyday!
Join The Refreshanista Society and get the latest recipes and remedies!