It’s almost time for the challenge! If you don’t know about the August Farmers Market Challenge yet, read about it here and sign up!
Here are some steps to get ready for a month of fresh, local food:
- Pay a visit to your local market. Take note of what produce is available and check to see if staples like eggs, butter, and cheese are available. Also make sure you are aware the days and times your market is open, mine is only open 7-1 on Saturdays so early Saturday mornings it is! Also, find out what sells out early. I found out that the stall that sells their own butter at my market sells out within a couple hours!
- Brainstorm dishes based on the produce that your market has to offer. Consider the local produce as the main ingredient. Some ideas include sandwiches with roasted local veggies, fresh baked fish and veggies, pies made with local berries, grilled veggie kabobs, sweet or savoury tarts, salads with homemade dressing, etc. If you’re struggling with creating a meal plan- don’t panic! I’ll share my meal plans and shopping lists with you so stay tuned 🙂
- Keep your lifestyle in mind. Are you short on time? Meals that can be made ahead and frozen or refrigerated will make eating fresh food stress-free. Not a fan of being in the kitchen? Keep it simple- simple recipes are often tastier than elaborate ones! Do you have picky eaters in your house? Rather than completely changing the meals they’re used to, get them excited about new options. Find out their favourite fruits and veggies and centre your dishes around them. Do you have a sweet tooth? Make sure to include desserts in your meal plan 🙂
- Have a meal plan. Without a plan it will be harder to avoid quick, processed food. Take this time to enjoy the products your local farmers are growing.
- Get your friends and family to join you! The support will make this experience even better- you can share recipes, shop the markets together, and encourage each other 🙂
Questions? Send me a message at firstname.lastname@example.org, I’d be happy to help 🙂 Share your photos, updates, and recipes with the hashtag #AugustFarmersMarketChallenge