I’m sure you know that essential oils are great for healing a wide variety of skin issues, but are you using the right ones? Let’s talk about some common skin problems and which essential oils you should start using to get healthy glowing skin!
- Lemon- for oily skin and dark spots
- Tea tree oil- for acne and oily skin
- Lavender- for scars, dry skin, sensitive skin, and wrinkles
- Frankincense- for wrinkles and oily skin
- Orange- for dull skin
- Chamomile- for redness and inflammation
- Rose- for dry skin and aging
- Grapefruit- for oily skin, dullness, and acne
- Peppermint- for oily skin, acne, and puffiness
Don’t worry, I’m not stopping there- I’m going to tell you about 4 ways you can use these oils on your skin! If you’re more of a visual learner, I teach how to make skin care products that are customized with essential oils with video lessons in my course The 7 Day Bath & Body Product Detox Course for Beginners. You’ll see everything step by step and, at the end of the week, you’ll have a set of personalized all-natural products that will give your skin exactly what it needs for that healthy glow!
- Direct application/diluted in carrier oil: to make a skin-healing oil, add a few drops of essential oil to a carrier oil like avocado oil, almond oil, grapeseed oil, or coconut oil. Apply a light layer to your face. Tea tree oil can be used on its own in very small amounts, lightly dabbed onto blemishes. Remember that you want a 3% dilution for safe essential oil use- about 12 drops of essential oil per 1 fl oz of carrier oil.
- Make a toner: add a few drops to a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 apple cider vinegar. Use a cotton ball to swipe the mixture all over your face.
- Make a healing salve: melt beeswax and a carrier oil in a 1:2 ratio in a double boiler. Remove from the heat and add in your essential oil and mix thoroughly. Pour into a container and let it cool and set. Rub your finger on the salve and apply to trouble spots or all over your face.
- Add to face cream: you can add several drops to your favourite face cream- or make your own! I highly suggest making your own, it’s surprisingly easy and you’ll know exactly what’s in it- no nasty cancer-causing chemicals. Simple melt together a hard butter (like cocoa butter, Shea butter, or mango butter) and an oil (like almond oil, grapeseed oil, or avocado oil) in a 2:1 ratio of butter to oil. Then add your essential oils and chill until solid. Mix with an electric mixer until it’s a frosting-like consistency and voila- you’ve got a face cream perfectly tailored to your skin!
Note: always avoid the eye area, especially with mint and tea tree oil.
Did I miss a skin condition that you’re in need of a healing essential oil for? Let me know in the comments!
Grab the FREE guide for the 8 Key Essential Oils I Use Nearly Everyday!
Join The Refreshanista Society and get the latest recipes and remedies!