Kimchi is a new food to me- I’ve seen it all over Pinterest and finally decided to give it a try after finding out it’s super healthy! Turns out it’s the BOMB- full of flavour and a hint of spice 🙂
It’s a traditional Korean food, made from cabbage, ginger, hot pepper paste, garlic and other optional additions. The mixture is left on the kitchen counter at room temperature to ferment. The fermenting process is the key to this super-healthy food.
I made this recipe from Greatist. It was pretty easy to make and it’s very flavourful! I put the optional onion in mine- yum! It adds a punch to stirfries and rice and makes a great addition to sandwiches. Check out these inventive recipes that use kimchi!
Now on to the health benefits-
- A healthy dose of Vitamin A and C- these vitamins are natural antioxidants, they help keep your immune system strong and fight off free radicals.
- The fermentation process creates an abundance of probiotics– probiotics are beneficial bacteria, they give the kimchi that slightly sour flavour. In your system, they keep the bad bacteria in check to keep your system in balance. I wrote a short post on the benefits of probiotics here.
- Fermented cabbage is a possible cancer-fighter- some recent studies are linking fermented cabbage to anti-cancer benefits.
- Lowering cholesterol- some studies are showing that kimchi can help reduce bad cholesterol and prevent high blood pressure
- It can help with weightloss- a study found that when participants ate fermented kimchi, they had better carb metabolism and lost more weight than the other participants.
Give kimchi a try, it’s delicious and crazy healthy!
Grab the FREE guide for the 8 Key Essential Oils I Use Nearly Everyday!
Join The Refreshanista Society and get the latest recipes and remedies!